Joining your partner in New Zealand

If you want to join your partner in New Zealand and work, you may be eligible for a work visa under our Family Stream.

Any person who is applying for a visa whose application is reliant solely on being the partner of a visa holder/applicant may only be granted a visa if an immigration officer is satisfied that:

  • the couple complies with the minimum requirements for recognition of partnerships (see our Operational Manual at E4.5.15); and
  • the couple is living together in a genuine and stable relationship and
  • their partner supports the application; and
  • their partner meets the character requirements for partners supporting ‘partnership-based temporary entry class visa applications’.

All applicants must meet our health and character requirements. The other requirements you must meet depend on your partner’s immigration status.

  • Your partner is a New Zealand citizen or resident
  • Your partner holds a New Zealand work visa
  • Your partner holds a New Zealand student visa
  • Your partner holds a New Zealand Aid Programme-supported student visa
  • Your partner or parent works for the US Government in New Zealand